Monday, November 24, 2014

Therese's Famous Spaghetti Sauce

You guys, my mom makes THE BEST spaghetti sauce.

“No way! You see, MY MOM makes the best spaghetti sauce.”

….well I find that hard to believe, because I live in this town, and everyone I KNOW is talking about MY MOM’S spaghetti sauce. 

“Well I talked to Mayer Grimble the other day, and he declared MY MOM’s sauce the tastiest in the land!”


Listen you pasta punk...I will END you!

But seriously, my mom actually does have a KILLER spaghetti sauce recipe, and lucky for you I am unlocking the family-vault-of-secrets and sharing it with the masses!

Spaghetti dinners feasts were a bit of a tradition growing up in my house. We would get out the big roasters, and fill them with enough pasta and sauce to feed a small army. Which was perfect, because when my entire extended family came over, that was pretty much the magnitude of us.
I am all for coming up with random reasons to get together with my friends and family. Nothing says “I love you” like offering to fill their bellies with delicious food.  And who doesn't ALWAYS make too much pasta? I swear that stuff is IMPOSSIBLE to figure out, I mean seriously, does it multiply in the pot by 10 when it’s boiling?

So just take that extra pound of pasta as an excuse to invite everyone over! This recipe will fill your home with an aroma that is one part garlic, one part aphrodisiac, and one part fairy dust magic. I promise, so SO GOOD!

Here is what you need!

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 medium onion – chopped
1 medium green pepper – chopped
8 cloves garlic – minced
3 cans, 15 oz.  Italian diced tomatoes
30 oz. tomato sauce
12 oz. tomato paste
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tbsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. table salt
½ tsp. black pepper
Pasta of your choice - cooked 

Originally this recipe was intended for the crock pot, and honestly I think the longer it cooks, the better it tastes. Something about it just stewing all day long really sets in those incredible flavors. That being said, if you don’t have the time to let it cook all day, or just want your pasta RIGHT THIS SECOND! there isn’t much difference between the slow cooker, and the stove top directions.

Crock Pot directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5 qt slow cooker, stir in green peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve over pasta.

Stove top directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large soup pot, stir in green peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings; mix well. Cover and cook on high, stirring every once in a while, until bubbly. Serve over pasta.
I hope you give this sauce a try, and think of me, when all of your friends are completely astonished by your unbelievable spaghetti and the mystic qualities it possesses. 

You can also find this recipe featured at Strong is Our Sexy this week! 

No comments: