Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Bedroom Dreaming

Hello everyone! 
Over the past week, Eric and I kicked off our bedroom transformation. This is one of the rooms that I wish we would have started sooner. It's our most personal space, and yet whenever we were in there I never felt like it was our own. 
So last Sunday we said ENOUGH and got started. First we primed and painted the trim Simply White by Benjamin Moore, since that's the goal for the entire house. Just this step alone made such a dramatic difference in the whole mood of the room. The ugly wood trim is now all fresh and bright! 
Having to get ready in the morning with all of the furniture pulled away from the walls and in your face was super interesting. 
After we had a few coats of paint on the trim, we taped everything off and attacked the walls. Since we had a decent amount of leftover grey paint from the living room, we decided to use that color in here as well. Gadget Grey by Dutch Boy is the paint name, and it was a color we both knew we already loved, and agreed wasn't too masculine or feminine. 
Flashback to when we first moved in! 
Such an improvement from the blue. 
Now of course I want to work on new bedside tables, hang curtains, look into a new bedroom set, make matching lamps...curse of the decorator domino effect. :) 

I actually do have a game plan for this space, as it is no where near complete. The first big task I want to tackle is stenciling a herringbone pattern on the wall with the window. I was inspired by this photo below from Kristen F. Davis Designs
The randomness of the colors and pattern is what I find so interesting. It's not your traditional herringbone pattern, and this has way more colors that we would use, but I think it could really add some interest to our room. My vision is to replicate the random pattern, but only use a shade darker grey, and a shade lighter than what is on our walls. I think keeping with a monotone color scheme will prevent it from becoming too overwhelming.

Secondly, I have been bitten by the Rast-hacked dresser bug. There are projects all over the inter-web transforming plain IKEA Rast dressers into these glorious pieces.  Not only would they work as great beside tables, they would add six extra drawers of storage. Color me impressed. 
Source, Source, Source
For our version, I want to paint it a dark teal/peacock color. Off Broadway by Allen + Roth is what I'm leaning towards, with beautiful gold hardware. 
Other plans include hanging curtains, making a headboard, looking into area rugs, and finding matching lamps to paint gold and top with black lampshades. 
And since I need a visual before I make any sort of decision, I've created this little mood board to help bring my ideas to life.  
I'm sure the final space will look a little different, but it's a step in the right direction! I'm so excited to get started on that stenciled wall, it will be a true "math-meets-art" test of our personalities. 

Other happenings this weekend included a little trip to the Ohio Valley Antique Mall where I spotted this sexy beast. 
All. Those. Drawers. 
And those gold label pulls? AAAAHHH!!!! 
I didn't even look at the price tag, my heart wouldn't have been able to take it. 
I really wanted to take this guy home with me too. What would I do with a giant "D" you ask? Whatever the hell I want, that's what. 
Eric's parents and grandma also came down to visit us, and Grandma W passed some of her sewing wisdom down to me so I can hopefully get started on my kitchen curtains. 
I'm a little nervous, not gonna lie, but she seems to have faith in me. 

Woo, that was a lot. 
This weekend, instead of starting a major project, we're going to focus on sorting through all of the boxes that are still piled up in the office and guest room. 
I think six months is long enough for those poor things not to have a home yet. 

Anyone else starting a major task this week? 
Do you love mood boards as much as I do? 
Are there curtain god's I can pray to to help me sew these bad boys? 

Have a good one! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it is looking really good!!! I love the pillows and your board!!!!

http://top4addictions.com
http://top4addictions.com/2014/03/27/diy-how-to-redesign-a-metal-case/
http://top4addictions.com/2014/03/27/diy-how-to-redesign-a-metal-case/

Love
Milee

Unknown said...

it is looking really good!!! I love the pillows and your board!!!!

http://top4addictions.com
http://top4addictions.com/2014/03/27/diy-how-to-redesign-a-metal-case/
http://top4addictions.com/2014/03/27/diy-how-to-redesign-a-metal-case/

Love
Milee