Friday, September 25, 2015

DIY Custom Light Fixture

**NOTE: If you're going to tackle this project, please, please, PLEASE turn off the power source before doing so. And if this is your first time working with electricity, ASK FOR HELP! I am not a professional, Eric did all of the wire work, so in reality I have no idea how these things go. Be safe not sorry people!**
One of my all time favorite details from the bathroom makeover is hands down the light fixture. I had seen the tutorial floating around the interweb for some time, but never had a reason to execute it until now. From the quirky branch-like arms, to the multiple clear globe bulbs, there's just so much whimsy I HAD to make it my own.

I first saw this light on the blogs Rain On A Tin Roof and Little Green Notebook. Their versions are shown below, both provided easy to follow instructions, and were great jumping off points for my own lighting creation. 

For my own light, I wanted it to have a decent amount of visual weight. When I began painting the walls, I debated about painting the ceiling the same color. The original color was on the ceiling as well as the walls, and I thought it looked fine, maybe even helped the small space appear larger. But black is intense, and when I finished, there was a moment of panic where I thought I had made a HUGE mistake. Did I just turn my bathroom into a cave? A swift text to my BFF explaining the problem, and she calmly put my nerves at ease explaining that if my new light had some impact, it would easily balance out the black ceiling. Bestie to the rescue!

Let's backtrack to what I originally started with. 

A moment of silence for the death of yet another boob light.....ok that's enough. 
The materials I needed to make the light include the following:

2. Three lamp bulb socket splitter - this is how I planned to expand my light and make it bigger.
3. Light bulb socket splitters for standard bulbs - I ordered 20 of these splitters, but only used 17 of them. 
4. Ceiling Medallion - just for a nice flourish!
5. 25-watt clear globe light bulbs - after building my light shape, I needed 24 bulbs, but ended up only using 18. 
Now time for the fun part. Assembling this light is pretty much a giant puzzle. Somehow all of these pieces need to fit together, while looking balanced, but also leaving room for the light bulbs.
Once I created the basic shape, I stuffed paper towels into each socket to protect the electrical parts, grabbed my favorite gold spray paint, and headed outside. 
It took a few coats, but I focused on how it looked from the top...or bottom once it's hung, since that's what people will see when they look up. Speaking of hanging, when Eric removed the old light, he discovered there was a metal box holding all the wires that probably shouldn't be removed. This wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but once spray painted the same gold, it looked like it was intended to be there all along. 
Aall-purpose construction adhesive was used to attach the medallion to the ceiling, and it was like icing on the cake. Such a beautiful addition for such a small cost. You'll also notice the final shape isn't exactly the same as when I finished connecting all the socket splitters. As Eric installed the light, he disassembled it, and then slowly reassembled, turning on and off the power every once in awhile to make sure we weren't going to blow a fuse. Better safe than sorry! 
Was it more work than simply buying a new light? Of course.
Is it a little crazy looking? Maybe. 
But it's better to be absolutely RIDICULOUS, than absolutely BORING! :) 

Monday, September 21, 2015

Mini-Awkward-Bathroom REVEAL!

I am happy to announce that the mini-awkward-bathroom makeover is officially COMPLETE! Although the awkwardness isn't entirely gone, I mean there's still a shower in lieu of a sink, it's absolutely a BILLION times sexier. Which of course is what every bathroom strives to be during their little bathroom lifetime.

If you're new here, you can read from my original post I wanted something dark, but also high contrast, with a lot of gold accents. 
After the intense paint job, the space was about 75% there. Not to brag, but I'm pretty sure I nailed that last 25%. 
Warning, you're about to get bombarded with pictures. Enjoy! 
Above the toilet, I really wanted to take advantage of the space by installing shelves. To bring in more gold, I spray painted the brackets, and then Eric trimmed simple white shelves from Menards to fit snugly between the walls. 
Another detail I'm obsessed with is the new light fixture! It's like a glittery golden chandelier just twinkling above your head. It's totally unique, totally DIY, and I'm totally going to write about it next. Stay tuned. 
I am so SO happy with how this makeover turned out. For being such a small space, it's still jammed packed with personality, and LOTS of original details. 
Check out these wonderfully satisfying before and afters.
Again, I cannot reiterate how pleased I am with how this project came together. Yes it took about two months when I wanted it to take only a week, but some things are just worth waiting for. And a super gorgeous place to do your business in, happens to be one of those things.